What do we want students to understand?
As a PYP school, we commit to concept-driven instruction to:
- Support inquiry
- Promote real understanding
- Teach for depth over quantity
- Help learners construct meaning through critical thinking
- Provide context within transdisciplinary units so students can make connections and acquire essential knowledge, life skills, and attitudes
- Avoid teaching superficial knowledge memorized only to be forgotten
A set of eight concepts were chosen to design a transdisciplinary curriculum. Each key concept includes a broad question prompt.
Form: What is it like?
Function: How does it work?
Causation: Why is it like it is?
Connection: How is to connected to other things?
Perspective: What are the points of view?
Responsibility: What is our responsibility?
Reflection: How do we know?
Change: How is it changing?