News and Events
The Fridley High School (FHS) Key Club earned the coveted “Distinguished Club” status and placed first in overall achievement at the Minnesota-Dakotas District Leadership Conference (DCON), held from March 6-8, 2020 in Fargo, North Dakota. Key Club is a student-led, service-oriented club that makes a positive impact by serving others in their school and community.
The FHS Key Club earned first place overall in achievements, which is an accomplishment awarded in recognition of service hours and amount of funds raised based on club-member size. In addition, the Fridley group was one of four clubs in the Minnesota-Dakotas region to earn “Distinguished Club” status. As defined by Key Club International, the FHS group earned its designation based on overall performance in the combined areas of club administration, membership and leadership development, Kiwanis family involvement, service, and fundraising. This past year, Fridley members have clocked in 2,349 hours of service, which totals 48 hours per student!
At DCON, clubs from Minnesota, South Dakota and North Dakota elect members to serve on the District Board for the 2020-21 school year. This year, 9th grade student Serina Wood was elected as Lt. Governor for Division 7A and will serve on the District Board of Trustees as a liaison for clubs in the north and west Twin Cities metro.
Fridley Key Club Awards included:
- 1st Place District Theme Award – This award was earned by sophomore Priya Rana, who wrote a report celebrating this year’s theme of “Groovy for Service.”
- Eliminate Patch – The Eliminate Patch acknowledged the FHS Key Club for raising at least $250 through Trick-or-Treat for UNICEF to benefit the Eliminate Project, which is a Kiwanis Children’s Fund project with the goal to eliminate maternal and neonatal tetanus worldwide.
- 1st Place Single Service Project and 2nd Place Major Emphasis Project for “T-shirt Sling Bags” and “Dogs and Dolls for Africa” project, which benefitted 15 orphanages in Africa. Both of these project reports were written by Priya Rana.
- K-Family Patch – This award was given to the FHS Key Club for involvement with other Kiwanis International Clubs, including Fridley Middle School Builders Club, Columbia Heights-Fridley Kiwanis, and Northeast Minneapolis Kiwanis.
- Oratorical Contest 2nd Place – Priya Rana wrote a report on how: “Our diversity of heritage, personality and leadership contributes to the beautiful culture of Key Club.” Rana’s report discussed the diversity of the FHS Key Club and its benefits on how it affects leadership and the culture of Key Club.
- Distinguished Officers - The following officers submitted binders and earned distinguished status for their work the past year:
- Distinguished President - Hycha Thao (grade 11)
- Distinguished Secretary - Priya Rana (grade 10)
- Distinguished Publicist - Devika Ramnarine (grade 10)
- Distinguished Publicist - Vanessa Lor (grade 10)
- Distinguished Webmaster - Andy Stevenson (grade 10)
- Digital Poster 1st Place – Hycha Thao and Jason Vang (grade 11)
- Non-traditional scrapbook 1st Place – Devika Ramnarine
Congratulations to all our Key Club students!