Fridley Middle School Parent Survey
Dear FMS Parents and Guardians
Early this year we sent out a parent survey seeking your input and feedback on the areas of strength at FMS, as well as, areas of growth we can focus on going forward. We greatly appreciate the feedback we received from our 178 respondents. The work of teachers and staff with students and families, diversity and communication were identified as areas of strength. Meanwhile, communication, concerns with climate and parent engagement opportunities were identified as areas to focus on going forward.
Upon receiving this feedback we met with staff and building leaders to analyze the results. I am proud of how reflective and sincerely our staff considered the input and discussed ways to persistently pursue improvements. I would like to highlight some of the initiatives we have been working on to support students and the student experience at FMS:
- We have been working Dr. Clayton Cook from the University of MN to develop and implement Multi-Tiered Systems of Support for students, to include supporting student social/emotional learning and growth.
- We continue to develop our Tiger Grit (PBIS) processes to support the teaching of school expectations and the development of a positive school climate.
- We have established a partnership with the Lee Carlson Center, which affords us 2 on-site school linked mental health therapists.
- We have added a Behavior Analyst and a Social Worker to our staff this year to enhance our ability to better understand and develop ways to support each student.
We plan to continue to seek parent/guardian feedback each year going forward in order to consistently look for ways to continually improve our school. In addition, next year we are excited to implement the following:
- 5th grade will be comprised of 3 teams so each student has a strong sense of belonging with their individual team of teachers and students.
- We are embarking on a sustained professional development relationship with Dr. Sharroky Hollie, focusing on the development of Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Teaching and Learning strategies.
- We are also adding direct instruction of Social/Emotional Learning and Cybercitizenship curriculum into our daily Homeroom classes.
- We will continue to look at ways to enhance our communication with families and develop more opportunities for parent engagement at FMS.
The FMS Administrative team and staff appreciate your continued support and partnership as we strive to consistently improve the supports we offer to students and families.
Welcome to Fridley Middle School
"Educating and Nurturing Young People in Grades 5 -8"
• National School of Excellence
• Magnet School of America Award of Excellence
• Top 10% of nation's schools that offer "What Parents Want Most"
Fridley Middle School, an authorized International Baccalaureate Middle Years World School, combines a strong academic program with a child-centered environment to meet the unique needs of today's young adolescents. A solid advisor/advisee program connects students with their advisor on a daily basis throughout their four years. Opportunities abound for students to stretch themselves through an accelerated math program, academic enrichment activities, access to computers in every classroom and three fully-equipped computer labs, intramural and competitive athletic activities, theatrical productions, choirs, bands and much more! Students themselves form a vital part of the positive school climate, practicing excellent leadership skills as Peer Helps, Peer Leaders, Peer Mediators and Ambassadors.